Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Rhino for Ryno

This cake was for a boy named Ryan who is nicknamed Ryno.  He asked for a Rhinoceros cake for his birthday.  Given the amount of servings needed I decided to just make the head of a rhino for the cake.  This one was a challenge!  I used a black rhino as my example and you can see the rhino has a pointed lip just like the real deal.  I know that real rhino horns are not 'ivory color' but I didn't have the heart to cover them completely with gray (so, so much gray!!) so I just dusted them with some gray and brown to mute down the ivory a bit.    This cake was carved by hand and covered completely in modeling chocolate then dusted with petal dusts to bring out the wrinkles.  The cake inside was red velvet.  The eyes were gumballs I colored black with food coloring markers.  I think everyone was pleased with the end result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment